Thursday, November 6, 2008

Local Response to the Election

In the light of the elections, I am proud and filled with a spirit of optimism. My eyes filled with tears to see the people of America elect someone to the highest office in our nation's government on the merits of leadership, vision and values, without regard to race. I was moved by the historic significance of an African American being elected as president. The American dream and the values we cherish as Jews seem possible. I am overcome with hopeful anticipation, and pray that all Americans will continue to seek the common ground that will move us ever closer to the fulfillment of these dreams.


Rabbi Jim Bennett
Congregation Shaare Emeth
11645 Ladue Road
St. Louis, MO 63141

1 comment:

  1. As a Jew and an American I too am proud that we have transcended the racial barriers of the recent past, but as a Jew and an American I am wary of President-elect Obama's commitment to Israel and his commitment to American Jews.

    Where is Jewish memory? During his campaign, when speaking to AIPAC, he stated his commitment to Israel and the next day he stated his support of Palestinians when speaking with Muslim-Americans.

    We've been told by extremists that they want to drive Israel into the sea and kill Americans, the great satan. Will reducing our military keep us safe? I think not.

    I am wary of this man even as I wish him well and send prayers that he lead America to recovered prosperity and peace. I will watch and wait and hope that he means well.

    ReplyDelete